Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Tribute To Lost Images

I recently "misplaced" one of my hard drives. I know, how amateur. I'm not exactly sure what happened to it. The last
place I remember seeing it was at my parents house. But, I have been living in my car for the past 7 months, and I have been staying/crashing/camping in a lot of different places. I am confident that it will eventually show up. Nobody in their right mind would discard something so important. It's somewhere, I'm just not sure where.

It turns out I only lost about 6 months of work, give or take a bit. I'm still trying to figure out what is gone. But it really isn't all that bad. It could be a lot worse. I'm trying to think positively about this. It could be worse.

Some of the images I have lost can be taken again. And some of them I just don't give a shit about. But there are a few that really hurt. This is a tribute to some of the images I have recently lost. They will be temporarily missed.

One day last winter, it snowed 25 inches in Montezuma. It was the beginning of the season and everybody was going to hit the slopes. I grabbed my snowshoes and headed to the hills. I knew that it was early enough in the season that the water would still be ice free and would likely have a fog hanging over it. I ended up finding a nice location along the Snake River near Keystone. This river is one of the most polluted and disgusting waterways that you can imagine. The fish have been gone for years, the rocks are stained red, yellow and white, when it rains the water turns white, the herds of elk and deer are nowhere to be seen. Just upstream from this photograph is a Superfund Site, the Pennsylvania Mine. Summit County for a couple of years now. Some of these exposures are a couple of hours long. I photograph them at night for two reasons; I have complete control over the lighting on the subject, and the stars represent time and how it relates to humans and their relics on The Earth.Which brings us to our next photograph. This is the Pennsylvania Mine. This is part of my Summit Historical Project. I have been photographing mines and buildings around

Just down the hill from the Pennsylvania Mine is
the old town of Decatur. There is only one
building left standing. At one point thousands
of men and women inhabited this valley. Now all
that stands is a dilapidated building and a hillside devoid of trees.

I enjoy learning about ruins and the history that accompanies them. I spend a lot of time in the
woods of CO, and the deserts of UT seeking these places. Some are sacred, some are nothing more than an outhouse, some have been there for thousands of years, and some only 50. When I come back to these places I often find changes. Building collapse and walls fall over. Some are human caused, but more are from the test of time.
Some of these buildings are only 100 years old, and are in complete disrepair. I find more piles of logs than I do actual structures. Within another 50 years they will all be gone. For now, I will capture as many images of them as possible, and hope that I can contribute something to history.

Here are a few more images that I lost during my mishap. And like I said earlier, these are only
temporarily lost. I will have them again. And by the way, If you happen to come across a neon
green box with a black My Book hard drive in it, it's mine and I would like it back. I will probably give you a finders fee. I'm not saying what it will be, just saying there is one.


No comments:

Post a Comment