Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Moped Gang

Once upon a time I bought a moped. I got it at a junkyard for $50. It was broken, ratty, and far from working. When I finally did get it running, it was quickly returned to what all of my friends called the “Two More Week” status. They called it that because when it broke down, which was often, I would always tell them, “two more weeks and it’ll be running”. And usually it was. If I had a quarter for every time my bike broke down, I would probably have enough money to buy a car. But that’s not the point.

Have you ever driven a moped or a scooter? Not a motorcycle, but a low power 2-stroke vehicle. There is something about seeing the lay of the land pass gently below at a slow 25mph. You can see so much more than if you were in a vehicle. You can smell the flowers, and eat the bugs as wipe the tears from your face. There’s nothing like it. You feel so much more alive.

My addiction to mopeds have progressed from asmall hobby, to a moped gang, to a racing track, and someday a long open road. I have pedaled and walked many miles with my bike, crashed it countless times and spent many hours in a hospital room. I’ve had my bike stolen, and then damn near beat up a kid to get it back. We have been to hell and back. And guess what? I love my bike, and my bike loves me.

I have put about 8000 miles on my bike since 2002. In the summer time I drive my moped up and down the creek (Clear Creek) taking photos of rafters. All of my friends have dubbed me “Paparazzi!” You never know when or where you will see me. But somewhere along that rafting trip you will see me hiding in the bushes with a camera. And when you do, be sure to give me a whistle and an Italian influenced, “Heeeeey! Paparazzzzziiii!” make sure to roll your tongue. I don’t even think many people on the creek even know my real name. And that is fine by me, I kind of like it.

I have been mopeding for about 8 years now. The way I said that kind of makes me sound like it’s an addiction, it kind of is. Until recently I never took too many photos of my mopeds. I have taken a few snapshots here and there but nothing that I ever really tried to compose, until recently. And so I will leave you with a small selection of photographs that I have created in an attempt to capture the culture that surrounds me.

1 comment:

  1. Beaauuuutifullll my friend. Truly inspiring photos.

    ReplyDelete